Joadja winery just up the road
Wombaroo is a privately owned campsite in the Southern Highlands. It is located approximately 1hr 46 minutes from the centre of Sydney (using Google maps).See: http://campwombaroo.org.au/
Wombaroo islocated in the middle of the cool climate wine district, with many local wineries and B&B style accommodations within a short distance.The nearest large town is Mittagong, which is approximately 15 minutes from site. It is a public transport hub which is on the Southern Highlands railway line from Central Station, and also from Melbourne via Countrylink services. It also has the nearest 24 hour supermarket and petrol station. It is also close to the Southern Highlands historic village attractions of Berrima and Bowral.
High Ranges Climate
The local climate is mild to cool. The site itself is well-grassed, and gently sloped.
Historically, mean temperatures in April range from 8-20 degrees Celsius, with rainfall averaging 7.7 cm for the month. This compares with the Glenworth Valley range of 12-22 degrees Celsius, and 12.4 cm of rain.
The site has excellent drainage, and only one small area apt to become boggy under heavy rain. There is a set of fenced dams at the very bottom of the proposed site, one of which is designed for swimming and includes a jetty and pontoon.
The site is not dusty, humid or overly wet.
Further climate information is available here: High Range and Glenworth Valley
Getting to Wombaroo
Camp Wombaroo is located off Wombeyan Caves Road in High Range, adjacent to Jellore State Forest. High Range is about 15 minutes outside of Mittagong in the Southern Highlands.
PLEASE NOTE: DO NOT follow google maps and go down Soapie Flats Road as this is a four wheel drive only track, please follow the instructions below and go to Black Springs Road instead as this road is fine to use.
- Travel south on the Hume Highway
- Take the Mittagong/Bowral exit
- Continue along the Old Hume H’way
- Veer right through Mittagong as you follow the signs to Wombeyan Caves
- After 2 km turn right into Wombeyan Caves Road (then follow the Directions below Once on Wombeyan Caves Road)
From Canberra / Goulburn:
- Head north along the Hume Highway
- Take the Mittagong exit (Old Hume H’way)
- Turn left onto the Old Hume H’way
- After approximately 500 m, turn right into Wombeyan Caves Road
Once on Wombeyan Caves Road:
- Travel down Wombeyan Caves Road for 12 km
- Turn right into Black Spring Road
- After 1.5 km, veer right into the Camp Wombaroo property (signed)
Please observe a maximum speed of 40 km/h on Black Spring Road, and obey all signs once at Camp Wombaroo.