Welcome to the Rowany Festival website! Rowany Festival is the largest event in the Kingdom of Lochac, in the Society for Creative Anachronism, and is hosted by the Barony of Rowany every year during the Easter public holidays.
* Bookings for Rowany Festival 2017 ARE NOW OPEN!
*Want to make your mark on Lochac? Be Steward of Rowany Festival 2018!
Email tyour EOI to firstname.lastname@example.org and email@example.com by February 14th, 2017 (more info at the bottom of this page: http://festival.lochac.sca.org/contacts/)
* Want to help with the Children’s Activities? You need a Working With Children Check. More information on the Schola page.
* The Contacts page has been updated, though there’s still some gaps. More to come!
* FAQs below have been changed to reflect 2017 plans.
Rowany Festival 2017 will run from the Thursday 13th April 2017 to the Tuesday 18th April.
Site opens to attendants from 2pm, Sunday 9th April and closes to attendants Tuesday 18th April (no attendants to stay overnight 18/4). Car access is limited to the roads and there will be periods of no cars on site.
The Stewards for Rowany Festival 2017 (AS 51) have been announced, and they are:
Master Vandel Lynchea, Sir Andrew Daniels (AD), Mistress Bethan Daniels of Brockwood, and Mistress Helene du Puy.
If you have any offers of help, or challenges you’ve identified about Festival 2016, or suggestions for Festival 2017, email them to firstname.lastname@example.org; post them on the Facebook group ‘Rowany Festival Discussion’; or contact the stewards privately.
There is a timetable for last year’s event here. Please note this is subject to change. : http://festival.lochac.sca.org/timetable/
The Rowany Festival 2016 surveys for attendants and non-attendants are now closed.
Site rules changed in 2016. Please note in particular the changes to fire and traffic rules, and the general rules regarding pits (specifically: you can’t dig pits, including for waste water disposal and fires). Sites rules for 2017 can be found in full here: http://festival.lochac.sca.org/site-information/site-rules/
Frequently Asked Questions for 2017
- Can I bring my car onsite Thursday afternoon? YES. Cars will need to be removed before 9am on Friday morning. Any car on site on Thursday is only on site for long enough to drop-off. http://festival.lochac.sca.org/site-information/site-rules/
- If I can’t get to site before 9am Friday, how can I get my gear onsite? There is a late arrivers/early leavers campsite near the Gate, so that you don’t have to carry your gear as far.
- Can I drive my gear into my campsite? No, you can only drive on the designated roads. Maps will be published closer to the event. http://festival.lochac.sca.org/site-information/site-rules/
- Can we stay onsite Tuesday night and leave Wednesday? No, all Festival attendees must be off site by 2pm Tuesday 18th April.
- If we are setting up on the Wednesday and staying the night, do we need to book pre-event tickets for that night? No, Wednesday night is included in the full event booking. http://www.trybooking.com/FNRS
- When is the earliest I can set up my campsite? Set-up day, Sunday 9th April at 2pm is the earliest.
- When are portaloos being delivered onsite? Monday.
- Are pre-event bookings only necessary if you are staying overnight, or do we need them if we are just coming down during the day to set up tents? Pre-event bookings needed for overnight only.
- Is bedding included in my bunk booking? No, you need to make your own arrangements for bedding. If you cannot bring your own, Mittagong has a Big W and Aldi, as well as op shops.
- I booked, but now I can’t come; can I get a refund? Contact email@example.com. NOTE: There are no refunds after 31st March 2016.
- Does every site have a firepit on it? No, we’ll let groups know if they have one in their area as best we can (you’ll recognise them by the log seating). You can set fires in braziers and off-ground fires if your campsite doesn’t have a firepit. http://festival.lochac.sca.org/site-information/site-rules/
- Is there a plan for people with camper trailers and campervans? Yes, there is an RV section reserved (although no dump point).
- Does my tent need white fabric tied to the ropes if the ropes themselves are white? Yes. People with night blindness can better see the tag shape where lines disappear.
- When will the hire equipment be delivered? Mostly Monday and Tuesday, possibly some on Wednesday.
- Can I use my butane canister “lunchbox” stove? Yes, as long as it has proper gas approvals. Anything older than 8 months old, or without the proper gas approvals is suspect and may be dangerous; please don’t bring an explosion risk to Festival!
- What clothes should I wear to swim? Wear what you are comfortable in and what is appropriate for wearing around children and in mixed company. If it also happens to be historical, great.
- What is mobile phone coverage like at Wombaroo? Reasonable but not great; you may need to move around to find a spot with coverage.
- Can I use the powerpoints in the hall to charge my phone? No, the wiring is bad and the kitchen fuses keep blowing. Please make other arrangements.
- Can I buy alcohol at Festival? We are still waiting on licence requirements from the local constabulary.
- Will there still be a Tavern tent for socialising in, if there’s no Tavern? Yes! Their Majesties invite you to their Longhall. http://festival.lochac.sca.org/activities/whatson/
- Can I still buy ice at Festival? Yes.
- Can I buy food at Festival? Yes, there are some food vendors, for example Greesispoone and Golden Gryphone.
- Can I buy extra, souvenir tokens? If there are any left over, yes, once the event is closed – contact the Stewards.
- If I have too much to take home, can I donate it? Yes, to ‘Paladin’s Pantry’, who will give sleeping bags, tents, unopened packet food, and unused fruit+veg+eggs to http://www.angelsfortheforgotten.org/goulburn
- What night is Boar’s Head? Monday night, in the Tavern tent
- Is there a soup kitchen Wednesday night? YES, and/or you can bring your dinner and eat in company at the Long Hall.
- Is there a soup kitchen Thursday night? Yes, in combination with a Pot Luck Feast in the Great Hall.
General information about Festival can be found in the booklets linked below, and throughout this website.
N.B. The information below is for Rowany Festival 2015. These links will be updated when the new versions have been produced.
A4 version – Festival 2015 Booklet 240315 final
A5 version (smaller) – Festival 2015 Booklet 240315 final-small
Please also read: Draft Festival Parent Code of Conduct 150310